Wednesday, May 24, 2006

PRESCHOOL FOR BABIES

Nowadays, preschools are springing up everywhere as mothers want to enroll their babies in school earlier. These preschools have many curriculum, such as developmental tasks, observation and assessment, child development, interactive experience, teaching, parent participation and involvement, environment, and activities and experiences. Even though mothers have to spend a lot of money to enroll their babies, they don’t mind. What’s more, these preschools have many facilities, such as audio visual, computers, library, field trip, student worksheets, home reading, mandarin language, native speakers, holiday programs, art and craft materials, and playing area. Children used to enter to school when they are 4 years old, but now, mothers can admit their babies to school even they are still 6 months.

There are many reasons why the mothers enroll their babies in school. First of all, most mothers are workers. They work from 6 am to 5 pm. So they leave their babies with a baby sitter or a servant. The mothers enroll their babies in school rather than leave them at home with their baby sitter or servant. Because sometimes the baby sitter or servant takes care of them while they watch television. The mothers don’t know what programs that they watch. If the programs are good for children, it doesn’t matter. But if the programs are not suitable, they are not good for their development. Even though the babies only spend 2 hours at school, it will improve their ability. Secondly, the babies need to socialize with others. And it will build their self confidence. What’s more, they don’t have friends at home. They are only accompanied by their baby sitter or servant. Thirdly, because they don’t have many friends, their ability to speak is less than the babies who live in a village. If the mothers enroll them to school, they expect their ability to speak will increase. Besides, many schools have bilingual program, the mothers want them to speak English or Mandarin fluently because it’s very important for the future. The mothers are proud of them if the ability of their children is greater than that of the others. It will increase their pride.

Enrolling babies in school is not as easy as we think. When they go to school, they enjoy it. But, the babies often feel bored even though they go to school only two or three times a week. There are many reasons why the babies feel bored. First, perhaps the programs of the school are not interesting. Second, they might fight with their friends, so they feel uncomfortable. And finally, they want their mothers take them to school and be concerned with what they do at school. Usually, grandmothers or grandfathers disagree that the mothers enroll them to school because it’s useless. For grandparents, enrolling the babies earlier won’t increase babies' ability. And enrolling the babies in school will run out the money.

We have to choose a suitable preschool. As we choose a car, we have to choose based on details. We have to look for the information about that school such as what programs that they have, and the experience of the teachers. It’s better if the school is close to our house so the babies won’t be exhausted. Then, we should try a class to find out whether this school is suitable for our baby or not. We have to tell him the fun things that he will do in the class. So, he won’t be surprised about his activity in his school.

How about me? Do I have to enroll my child in school? at First, my parents didn’t support me to enter my son to school. After I explained my reason, they agreed it. But, my father in law didn’t support me because they think it’s not suitable for a 20 month old baby go to school. Even though they forbade me, I didn’t care. Because I am the mother of my son, and I know everything about my son and I know what my son needs, I compete to enroll my son to school. My neighbour said it would be useless to enter him to school because he would be bored. Yes, I know about it. But I am going to study in July, and it takes a lot of time. I won’t be able to teach my son as much as I teach him right now. And I want my son to be smarter than his parents. How about my husband? Well, he agreed with my decision to enroll our son to school. But, he asked me to enroll him in religious school, because a foundation in religion is very important to our son and it will influence his mental development. Even though most religious schools don’t have bilingual program, my husband doesn’t mind. We can teach him English by our selves or when my son enrolls a kindergarten. My enrolling purpose is to increase his self esteem. My son looks introverted and he has low self confidence. Besides, I want to increase his ability to talk because he doesn’t have many friends at home.

No comments: