Friday, May 12, 2006

WHY I HATE CIPROFLOXACIN

Ciprofloxacin? Oh No..! Don't talk about this antibiotic anymore! Why do I hate it so? Well, I had a bad experience. It happened in February, 2006. When I got mumps, I took an analgesic. But it didn't work. It was worse. I couldn't eat and I was very sick. Then, I went to an internist. Afterwards, he gave me ciprofloxacin and an analgesic. He knew that mumps is due to virus. It was self limited. And the treatment of mumps was not ciprofloxacin. But, he was afraid of lymphadenitis, the differential diagnosis of mumps. It was OK, I thought. I believed in him, besides I couldn't stand the suffering. After that, I finished all ciprofloxacin as he recommended.
Two weeks later, my husband suspected that I was pregnant, whereas in fact I didn't feel it. Yes, he said. Because I urinated many times but my period was not late. He asked me to use pregnancy pack test to find out whether I was pregnant or not. And the result was...
When I saw it at the first time, I thought there was one strip, it meant that It was negative. Then, I gave it to him, and i teased him, " Hey, the result is positive!" Whereas I was sure It was negative. After that, he looked at the pregnant pack test and he said, " Yes, you're right. You're pregnant!" I was surprised. I thought It was negative. I looked at the pregnant pack test again. He was right, I thought. I was pregnant.
Actually, I wanted to have more children before I went to school in July, 2006. But, because I had just gotten over from mumps, I was afraid of my fetus. As you know, ciprofloxacin is one of the drugs which is harmful to the fetus.
Two days later, I went to my gynecologist. After he checked me up, I told him that I had had mumps two weeks ago and I took Ciprofloxacin and analgesic. He was surprised," Uh, Why did you take Ciprofloxacin? Do you know It is harmful and teratogenic. Analgesic is less harmful than Ciprofloxacin. The treatment of mumps is not antibiotic. If you get mumps and you only take Panadol, you'll be fine!" Even though I explained why the internist gave me the antibiotic, he didn't agree with him. Oh my God, I was afraid something happened to my fetus. I said, " It's all up to you, Doc..." I couldn't say anything. I got headache. "Because there is no treatment for this, I'll give you only vitamins", He said.
While my husband was driving home, I was upset and quiet. He said, "That's fine. You should pray and ask God to have a healthy child. All happening in this world depends on God." According to Qur'an, Surah An Nahl (16), verse 40, "For to anything which We have willed, We but say the word "Be", and it is." Besides, If I got stressed, the fetus would be stressed too. And, that would not be good. I tried to relax. I searched some websites that talked about taking ciprofloxacin while pregnant.
According to Center For Drug Evaluation and Research, "while there are no controlled studies of ciprofloxacin use in pregnant women to show safety, an expert review of published data on experiences with ciprofloxacin use during pregnancy by TERIS - the Teratogen Information System - concluded that therapeutic doses during pregnancy are unlikely to pose a substantial teratogenic risk (quantity and quality of data = fair), but the data are insufficient to state that there is no risk. An observational cohort study looking at human experience with five different antibiotics reported a total of 40 pregnancies with ciprofloxacin. Five of the nine women who received ciprofloxacin during the first trimester experienced normal births with no reported congenital abnormalities. The other four first trimester exposures were an ectopic pregnancy, a spontaneous abortion and two terminations." Oh My God, I had been exposed to ciprofloxacin during the first trimester. I was upset. I hoped I was not four of the nine women which was explained above.
I think God is warning me to pray punctually and more often. I must remember Him anytime and anywhere i am. Please God, give me a healthy and perfect child. Now, My pregnancy is going 14 weeks and I hope everything will be fine.

9 comments:

itsnido said...

hello just read your cipro article... my wife took the same in the very similar scenario and i am damn worried...she took it for a full 7 days 500 mg BD in the second week.. now we are in the 4th week and i am really concerned... how did your preganancy go? any special precautions measures you took afterwards?? your experience can be a great help to us please share.
S M Naveed Lahore pakistan

Ucha said...

my pregnancy went well.. but when my baby was in labour, i was surprised.. he got harelip, but i was sure it was due to mumps (viral infection), not due to ciprofloxacin. You can read my blog "the gift which Allah gave to me"..
In most studies of women taking ciprofloxacin during the first trimester of pregnancy, an increased risk of birth defects has not been found.. you can visit http://www.otispregnancy.org/pdf/ciprofloxacin.pdf

CIPROFLOXACIN said...

I always read about possible side effects before taking any meds...

Anonymous said...

Had Cipro at 3 weeks along (didn't know was pregnant because I was bleeding and thought it was my period). Now am 8 weeks and scared. I had surgery, narcotics, and 2 other antibiotics during that time. The odds are not in my favor. I am happy you were on the happy end of the statistic side. Say a prayer for me please.

Ucha said...

I hope you alwys in a good condition, avoid anxiety because it will influence your baby.. My pray for you:)

Anonymous said...

I WENT TO KAISER AND THEY DIDN'T TEST TO SEE IF I WAS PREGNANT..IN FACT DIDN'T EVEN ASK -- TRYING TO RUSH ME OUT I EXPECTED BECAUSE MY BOSS CUT OFF MY MEDICAL INSURANCE BEHIND MY BACK AND KAISER WASN'T EVEN GNA SEE ME...BUT WHEN THE DR DID HE GAVE ME CIPRO AFTER DOING A URINE TEST THEN SENT ME AWAY. 3 DAYS LATER I HAD BEEN THROWING UP UNABLE TO EAT PLUS HEADACHES AND DIZZINESS I CALLED TO SEE IF THEY CHECK IF I WAS PREGO -- THEY HAD NOT! I WENT TO PLANNED PARENTHOOD HERE MY TEST CAME OUT POSITIVE AND AM UNSURE WHAT TO DO FROM HERE! I WANT TO SUE THEM I'M ONLY 7 WKS AND WAS DEHYDRATED AND VERY SICK AND DNT FEEL SAFE GOING FULL-TERM...ANY IDEAS...

Ven said...

Hi
Exactly 2 weeks back on Nov 30th midnight (My LMP being Nov 20th), I had a sudden hemorrhagic cystitis that was progressive in and within two how I started to see some tiny clots...The doctor asked if I was pregnant...said no (but we were trying...and we really were trying this month after which I have to go away far for another few months before we both meet again). I was given cipro x 10days...infection resolved...but suddenly got severe cold for which I used robitussin, nyquil, claritin-D along with this cipro and my regular thyroid meds- levothyroxine, lexapro-10mg and wellbutrine 100 exended release...

So basically I was exposed to several meds during these two weeks and my expected period being between Dec 17-20, I started to have this sudden feeling of tiredness (yeah not sleeping on time bcoz of exams)...feeling extremely oddly cold, and a little nauseated feeling (didnt want to check if I am pregnant...want to wait another 4-5 days before I do that)....so some how have a gut feeling if I am pregnant....but worried of the medication exposures I have...especially cipro...most of the teratogenic medications including Lithium if taken and got pregnant, are advised to carry on with their pregnancy.
But with Cipro I did not see any substantial evidence...but I am still worried...I am 35...n if I am pregnant...this is my second kid and I really want it go well...What can I say...please let me know what you guys think!!
Thanks

Anonymous said...

To all post: try not to stress the things that happened are unfortunate but make sure you continue to speak good health over you and your baby don't receive negative words about what could happen trust God that his word works and he died for our healing and so hold fast to this word beacuse words create things ever heard "you reap what you sow" the same with words fear will have you reaping things you don't desire...stay prayed up and confess over your pregnancy a healthy baby with no abnormalities, clear strong lungs no poison in the blood, all cells developed correctly, clear vision and hearing, all limbs formed correctly etc. etc. and stand on those words...hope this helped

Vee said...

hi all,
i hate ciprotab so much. i guess i was one of the unfortunate ones. i was unaware i was pregnant. went for urine test and was given ciprotab to treat an infection. When i was due for my period at 28 days regular. i checked and realised i was pregnant. but at day 35, i started bleeding. i tot it was my period and that the pt strip test i did earlier was wrong. Apparently, i was spotting. I went to the doctor and i was told that i was still pregnant but the baby is finding difficulty attaching to my womb, hence the bleeding. i was given the option to either take it out, cos it might have defects when born or i could carry it and do certain surgeries to fix the child properly in my womb etc. however, the doctor adviced, take it out now, cos of the possible risk and plan a proper conception.
i was sad, but i had to agree with him, cos the pain and the bleeding (or spotting) was unbearable.